About once a month we treat ourselves to either a pancake or french toast breakfast. Here's a delicious pancake recipe we love to make from Dr. Neal Barnard's The Get Healthy, Go Vegan Cookbook (pg. 57). The recipe is made from scratch and is very quick and easy. When I first came across it, the combination of ginger and banana did not sound so appealing. I was wrong! These are our favorite pancakes.
Banana Ginger Pancakes
1 1/4 cups whole wheat pastry flour
2 tsp baking powder
1 1/2 tsp ground ginger
1/4 tsp salt
2 TBS agave nectar
1 1/4 vanilla soy milk (preferably low fat or fat free)
3 TBS unsweetened apple sauce
1 tsp vanilla extract
1 cup mashed bananas (about 2 bananas)
Vegetable oil cooking spray or Earth Balance vegan butter
Pure grade B maple syrup
- Preheat the oven to 200 degrees.
- In a bowl combine the dry ingredients: flour, baking powder, ground ginger, salt.
- In a separate bowl combine the wet ingredients: agave nectar, soy milk, apple sauce, and vanilla.
- Mix the wet ingredients with the dry until just combined.
- Add the mashed bananas.
- Heat a skillet/pan over medium heat and coat with cooking spray or a little bit of Earth Balance.
- Pour 1/4 of batter onto hot skillet.
- Flip the pancake when it starts to bubble on top and is lightly brown on the bottom. Pancake should take about 1-2 minutes to cook per side.
- Place pancakes in an oven safe dish and place in oven to keep them warm as you prepare the remaining pancakes.
- Serve pancakes topped with fresh strawberries, bananas, and sliced almonds.
- Drizzle warm maple syrup on top and enjoy!
Recipe taken from Dr. Neal Barnard's The Get Healthy, Go Vegan Cookbook (pg. 57).